Friday, March 17, 2006

Appliances

Who knew that I would actually ever get excited about new appliances?

I am a domestic diva today -- not to brag, but I really am good at all that "Susie homemaker" stuff. I run a tight ship, my kids are all on schedules, my house is pretty neat and clean most of the time, I cook from scratch almost every day, I can vegetables and fruit, jams and jellies, I make homemade bread occasionally, I sew a little bit -- I do it all.

But I never aspired to this. In fact, my mom and grandma both tried to teach me to cook and I flat-out refused to learn. I wasn't getting married, certainly wasn't having kids ... I was gonna do take-out Chinese for the rest of my life.

Oops.

My husband lived through many a terrible meal when we first got married but I am proud to say that today I am a helluva cook, a good hostess, and his patience has been rewarded.

But I still never thought that an appliance would give me chills. Until I got my refrigerator. It's an Amana in Bisque, with a pull out freezer drawer on the bottom. I love it.

And now it seems that our house in Rochester has a dead oven in it. It has to be replaced so I am on the hunt for the perfect freestanding range: in Bisque/almond/biscuit, ceramic top (also in bisque, not gray or black), with convection oven option and a warming drawer or second oven. Of course, price is a consideration, too, so we are trying to keep it under $1K. Yikes.

And it looks like my long-suffering Hoover is also going to that big vacuum cleaner pasture in the sky, so I'm on the lookout for a new vacuum as well. (Maybe a bagless? Dare I venture in that direction?)

Whooda thunk it? Me, excited about appliances. *Insert roll eyes smiley here.*

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, when the hell does that happen. We go from being excited about lip gloss colors to house shit. We are getting old.

    Oh and I can vouch for the hostess. I was an overnight guest and it was better than a hotel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment Teresa! It made my (crappy) day. LOL Hope Michaels' birthday is fun and your Irish dinner is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Whoa! Don't get all "Martha Stewart" on me!--- I've been thinking about it -- you should write a blook! (and no that's not a typo.) A blook or a book. You've got Vivian reading your work regularly...and you know she doesn't read just anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:18 PM

    I dunno...my ceramic top (black) sucks. Not sure why, but 1/2 of it doesn't work properly though it's only 8 years old. Do your research! Mine's a Whirlpool fwiw.

    Computer works though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:36 PM

    FWIW, I love the gas range that came with the new house, heats a lot faster and saves energy. For a new vacuum cleaner I'd definitely go with bagless. I have a Hoover from Costco but everyone recommends Dyson Animal.

    I used to invest in Martha Stewart till my husband sold them, just another thing we didn't agree on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I rarely comment on blogs, I'm just a lurker who hops over from Teresa's blog to catch up on you every few weeks. =:) But you have touched on a subject near and dear to my heart, as I just purchased a new gas range myself last month. I was curious about the ceramic cooktops so I did a lot of research, and everyone I talked to who bought one ended up disappointed. Look at all the TV chefs, how many of them use an electric range? Try gas, you'll love it! I also have a definite bias toward my TriStar canister vacuum. It was pricy (more than your range budget) but it has a 25-year guarantee. I've had mine for almost 13 years now and it still works like a charm, and we've always had a houseful of dogs and cats so it's real work horse. FWIW .....

    ReplyDelete