Sunday, March 12, 2006

Thoughts on blogging

I went to my Book Group on Monday night. It was discussion of D.H. Lawrence's The Lost Girl, which I mentioned last week I was not enjoying.

However, I did enjoy the discussion and came around a bit on my perspective on the book. It did have some worthwhile themes but I was too busy getting past the language and structure to pick up on some of the major themes. So much for me being a genius. *roll eyes*.

I was supposed to give Vivian a dressing down for picking a book that several of us didn't like and then *not reading it*. Okay, that's it. I'm not giving you any more grief than that. :-)

In other news, my blog became the topic of discussion at book group as well. How odd that was. I really do this for myself -- it's a place where I can bitch, moan, whine, obsess, vent, and generally empty my brain periodically. It has become a way for me to keep my sanity. I also, of course, do it so that friends and family who are far away and busy as anything can pop in on their own time and find out what we're up to in our little corner of the world.

I post pix of my kids, but I would never post a photo of anyone else's child without their permission. I don't use our last name, I don't give specific info out about what school my kids attend or anything else that would help people identify exactly who I am. I have no illusions about my anonymity; someone who really cared could probably find me. There are a lot more interesting people than me in the world, so I'd advise against it. My life is pretty much what I put out here.

Lesley at book group brought something interesting up -- she said she found herself wondering if she should watch what she said around me -- edit herself, so to speak, because she didn't know if it would end up on my blog.

Again, I just think that's wacky. It's just my little blog. I think 6 people read it regularly now. Of course I would know how many if those lurkers out there would leave a comment....

And finally ... the principal at school left a message requesting that I not use profanities at school. Damn. I called her back and apologized but I really did want to talk about some of the things I mentioned in my blog entry on Thursday. She blew me off so I cut and pasted the text from the entry into an email, emailed it to myself, and printed it out. Then I left it on her desk with a note that thanked her for allowing me to give her my two cents' worth.

So there.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:11 PM

    Jennifer,

    Do you know why I love this blog? (Well, one reason, anyway) Because now I feel like I'll be able to keep some connection with you even if you move back to Minnesota, which I think is pretty cool. I know from past experience it can be hard to keep friendships going long-distance. Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that 7 readers. I guess I'm one of the lurkers. I ws just browsing through blogs one day and came acrossed yours. I love that you are brutally honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:59 AM

    LMAO! Oh Jennifer, how dare you use a naughty word LOL. There are so many evils in the world and yeah profanity ranks right up there ;) I love it that you don't back down. And listen to your mom, give 'em hell! (I see where you get your spunk)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends who have specifically asked me NOT to blog about them or post pics. It's a good thing because I would have. I consider them fair game. Geez, lighten up...it's just life. Now, blog about her but change her name like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley needs a life and so does the principal. Hang in there, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:24 PM

    WOW! I'm in the blog---I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete