Sunday, April 29, 2007

Go me.

I haven't posted much about our yard here. It is lovely. Big, lots of mature trees, a 10x35 foot garden, a hot tub, an arched arbor, a pretty little flower bed. Nice. Unfortunately, since we moved in July of 2004 and much of May and all of June were spent preparing for a cross-country move, it has been 3 years since we: edged, weeded, trimmed, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

It was BAD. Bad in a wild, overgrown, unkempt, wow-look-at-all-that-Creeping-Charlie-and-nightshade way. Yeah.

But this weekend was beautiful, and in two days we got a lot done. I power washed the house, I edged most of the back yard along the sidewalk, I edged around the blocks that frame the flower bed. I pulled a thousand and one weeds from said flower bed, cleared the trees that were growing in the fence line at the rear of the yard, and got a lot of the little helicopter Maple tree seeds out of some rock beds and nooks and crannies.

It is not done -- I still need to get out the hedge trimmer (one of my all-time favorite garden tools) and I have 2 out-of-control shrubs that need to be pruned into shape. We are pulling out a bird feeder and hoping to get Al the garden guy here to till up the garden sometime late this week. Rob did manage to get most of the little trees that sprouted up in the garden out of there. Yikes.

We aerated the lawn last weekend and seeded out front. It still looks awful, but hey, we're trying. We'll be picking up some more bricks from the landscape center so that we can redo the patio that was started (and not finished because we, frankly, did the math poorly), and Rob will build a new gate between the house and garage.

Add in the new fencing we want to put in, the new shutters we'd like to put up and the painting of trim that will require, the gallon or two of touch-up stain (in Reflection) for the house itself, the flowers and veggies we want to plant, the staining of the hot tub and the arbor (not to mention the repair of the hot tub), and the play structure we'd like to put in for the boys, and we have one busy (and expensive) summer ahead of us.

But for what I accomplished this weekend? Go me. I really am feeling better and I think it's gonna stick. Go me!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 PM

    If you can stand to wait until after this coming weekend, I know a pruning angel that would love to take care of those wild bushes. Since you're being my kitchen angel, after all! :) Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Wow! Sounds like yall have wonderful plans for that yard. I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya'all were busy. I want to see some photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fantastic that you'all can do so much yourselves- landscaping, construction, carpentry..... I would have pulled 10 weeds & passed out. I have gotten LAZY when it comes to the yard. The entire yard has been "out sourced."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:45 AM

    that is awesome! i love that the weather is so nice to be playing out in the yard, although i use the term 'playing' very loosely, lol! we did a lot of the same thing last weekend - we got our garden in!!

    oh, and i've been meaning to email you with more info on J... i'll try and sit down to do that in a bit ;o)

    so glad you're feeling better!! :D

    ReplyDelete