Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I knew that.

My friend Susan left a comment and corrected me that Al Gore never said he invented the internet. Sorry, I did know that. I was just tossing off that entry in frustration and I had eleventy-million phone calls to make so I was in a hurry.

As for the rest of her comments, I completely agree. Here's what she wrote:
Al never said he invented the Internet. He said he helped get the Internet to the people. Even the people who did "invent" the Internet thank him for what he did.

That aside, while Hillary's travel abroad and humanitarian work while first lady arguably has given her some experience, I don't know if I would say that it makes her MORE qualified than anyone else who has traveled extensively and has power and or money to effect change.

I would like to see the two DFL candidates shoot their arrows at the opposing party, rather than at each other. It's getting quite tedious, this bickering.

Memo to all political candidates: Tell me about why YOU are the BEST person for the job, not why you are better than the other people looking for the job. THAT is what I want to know.


And my friend Christine had a great response to this as well. Here is her email to me:
Saw your blog about O vs H and the big experience debate. Have you seen this Time article: (URL removed to make a hotlink in text).

I loved this line, "Character is your magic word, it seems to me — not just what they've done but how they've done it and what they've learned from doing it." I really liked Obama when I read that he was community organizer and civil rights attorney. While Hillary was an attorney who was married to a President and on the board of Walmart. Obama appears to strive for public service verses of public office. I also liked that they pointed out that Lincoln, was among the least experienced Presidents ever and achieved greatness.

Anyways, I know I'm speaking to the choir lol. I only wish more people would read the Time article than saw the SNL skit with Tina Fey.


Going to check out the Time article as soon as Spence gets on the bus. Oh, and the bold emphasis is mine, not Christine's.

Thanks, ladies. I am still ruminating on the Obama post and once the Book Fair has adequate volunteers and I have made the phone calls I need to, I will get to the draft I've started and finish it up.

3 comments:

  1. I know you know that, it's all good! :)

    Hope you get your volunteers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your man is coming to my hometown today. I am not going...tickets went up quick. This is the first time in 40 years a primary candidate has campaigned here. Usually the race is decided before our Mat primary. Not this time and we have 76 delegates. Hillary is coming on Thursday.

    Not a big fan of that weird preacher guy who is coat tailing on Obama. He is creepy and they need to distance themselves fast. They are entering Red state space. We don't like weirdo controversational people here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (URL removed to make a hotlink in text). Well now I can't get to it :( Can you check it again?

    ReplyDelete