Monday, March 10, 2008

NY Times on Obama

This article is fair and balanced and raises legitimate questions, and still I confidently support Obama.

Definitely worth reading.

I am a native North Dakotan and Sen. Kent Conrad of ND is quoted in the article. As an aside, North Dakota Sen. Byron Dorgan (for whom I interned 2 summers, in his DC and Fargo offices, as a press intern and a constituent liaison) also supports Obama. I have tremendous respect for both of these men, so their opinion means a lot to me.

I am also a huge admirer of Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold.

As for Obama "folding like a cheap suit," while that is a funny line and it has inspired me to do some further digging, I have to say that anyone who thinks any part of politics is simple, cut-and-dried, and does not have a thousand nuances is pretty damn naive. If looking at his "minor role" as the Times says, makes you want to vote for Sen. Clinton, be my guest.

Admittedly, the cult of personality is getting a little annoying, even for those of us who are enthusiastic Obamaniacs (I don't like that word, but I lack something better), but since Hillary CLinton is absolutely the MOST divisive figure in the current crop of candidates regardless of party, since she is married to possibly the most controversial figure in recent American politics, since she will mobilize every leaning Republican, conservative, anti-feminist ... well, you get it. There are a LOT of people who will make an extra effort to get out to vote AGAINST her. Granted, the same is true for Obama, but I think the number is significantly smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment