Saturday, March 21, 2009

On being anonymous

Well, not really. I mean, my family knows about my blog. My friends scattered across the globe know about it. Several people who hate me even know about it. (Incidentally, one of them is a Republican and I blocked her. Now when she tries to come here she gets redirected to www.barackobama.com. I am nothing if not vindictive and petty.)

But I'm not REALLY anonymous. Several people I know have found me through sites that link to me. Once you get here, if you know me, it's easy to tell it's me. I have my picture, and the stuff I write about it really my life (I know, you're thinking, "Well, of course it is. Who in their right mind would make up the boring life she leads?" lol) And I am pretty sure that if someone wanted to badly enough, they could figure out who I am. Not that there would be any tangible reward for doing so.

A few people have discovered my little space here. They let me know they found me and so far they are keeping my secret. A couple people have recently been invited in, and they, too, are keeping it under wraps.

Trouble is, now I'm wondering if I need to be under wraps. Sure, I'm opinionated, but I think I'm no worse than a lot of websites out there. Yeah, I'm occasionally mean, but I never use real names, and generally I lash out at institutions, not people. Generally. A few people have taken hits from me, but most would not even recognize themselves.

Mostly I write about me. My little obsessions with organizing and list making and keeping things tidy. My adventures in cooking and baking. Camping with my family. What I'm reading. Is it useful? I don't know -- some of it, maybe. But I don't know if I think it needs to be useful. Maybe it's enough that this is the place I come to when I have something to say. It keeps people who are important to me tuned in to what I'm doing. It gives them a daily peek into my life. It is my platform to wax poetic about growing a vegetable garden or watching 1,001 baseball games a summer or how much I am going to miss someone when they're gone.

It is MY place. I let people in every day.

I am just wondering now if I should invite more of them, and tell them who I really am.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I waver, then I out myself all the time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are who you are...be yourself and do as you damn well please...so far it's worked for you! you're amazing...I'm glad I have this little corner of the web to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are redirecting her to barackobama.com. That is so freaking classic.

    ReplyDelete