Thursday, April 22, 2010

Balancing Act

I've written before about the conflict I feel with people of faith, not because of their faith, but because of my lack thereof.

This weekend our niece is being confirmed. I explained confirmation to my kids, who have absolutely no concept of it. We will go, we will celebrate with our family, and we will give a lovely necklace commemorating the date with a Bible verse on it. (Numbers 6:24-26, the benediction. I am a heathen, but I made that choice after learning a whole lot of Bible stuff, including a lot of verses.)

Our church has a program similar to confirmation, called Coming of Age (COA). It's similar to confirmation in that they learn about religion (although they learn about many faith traditions, rather than a comprehensive history of one faith), but completely different in that in confirmation, one is recognized from that point on as an adult member of a congregation. It's sort of the end of a journey. COA is the opposite. This from Wikipedia:
"COA signals the beginning of individual spiritual searching; it is an official recognition that the youth involved have begun to search for personal truth."

I have a lot of respect for individual faith journeys and I would never demean or denigrate someone else's belief system. I am glad to be included in family celebrations even though I don't share the same beliefs and I'm not teaching those beliefs to my kids. I just hope the journey my kids take, even though it's very different from the one all of their cousins will take, will be supported and celebrated the same way.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your openness about faith. It was a beautiful peace. I have struggled with faith from the days as a child, when I'd look over my shoulder to see if God was watching me. One day it came to me that god had given me everything I need : a body, a brain and the ability to use both. Since then I have been at peace. Thanks again>
    Nataliereads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too. I hope the trip to ND was nice!

    ReplyDelete