Friday, April 26, 2013

I don't even know what to call this

I am steamed. Or rather, I was steamed the other day. I've pretty much calmed down about it now, and I am reaching that phase where I am once again accepting of the existence of idiocy, even as I rail against it.

What got me started this time?

Somebody preaching on Facebook about how the Girl Scouts are evil and they are so glad their daughter could join the American Heritage Girls (whose website states that it trains girls through "service to God," whatever that means) and that now they may be leaving Boy Scouts of America because of its impending changes re: homosexuality and scouting and they are sad because there is no organization for him to transition to.

Of course, said person also touted her devoutness (she's a Catholic) and her feeling that it is so important to teach her children family values because they have been "intrusted" to her. Whatever. God entrusts heroin addicts, prostitutes and Muslims with children, too, so I'm thinking that maybe the fact that you simply HAVE them is no indication that He thinks you are particularly worthy.

I am SO TIRED of people of ANY religion claiming they know the ONE TRUE PATH.

I am SO TIRED of people who are afraid of something so they deny others' humanity and rights.

I am SO TIRED of people who are bigoted and prejudiced somehow managing to claim that they are on the higher path.

I am SO TIRED of people bitching about how they don't want to live in a (Muslim) theocracy and then pushing their own religious beliefs on a free society with the individual right to worship (or not) as one chooses. (Thereby creating, wait for it .... a THEOCRACY.) Seriously?

I am SO TIRED of having to be quiet about this so as to not ruffle feathers.

Because then it's just my feathers that are ruffled. Again and again and a freaking-gain.

OH. And I am SO TIRED of people who constantly trumpet the right of unborn babies to live but in the next breath would deny basic rights to those babies if they grow up gay.

If you want to have a conversation about this with me, you have to understand something: YOUR religious beliefs do not trump mine, or anyone else's. 

We are talking about HUMAN BEINGS in this debate. PEOPLE. Who are sons and daughters, sisters and brothers, uncles and aunts, moms and dads, and SPOUSES, regardless of what they are called legally. These are PEOPLE. God's own beloved children, whom he has created in His own image and has commanded His followers to love as themselves.

SO why is it so hard for you to understand that they are really just like anybody, and let them live a committed life with someone who loves them? Why is it that you and I, because we are straight, get all the benefits of a legally recognized union and they don't?

Deep breaths. Deep, deep breaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment