Friday, December 30, 2005

WOW!

The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.
Jill Churchill, O Magazine, May 2003

I found this quote on the Effer site and it grabbed my heart right outta my chest. Had to Google it to find the source.

My keyboard is still wonky so this won't be long but I know I was meant to see that quote today. I have not been feeling too great about my mothering the past few days. Well, 2 days, anyway. Not enough patience, not enough hugs, not enough time spent with them. They don't seem to be bothered by it; hell, they hardly notice. Why would they? They have a ton of new toys and built-in playmates.

A few weeks ago a dear friend told me she is pregnant with her first baby, and that I am her role model mom. What a compliment that was! I cried. I can't wait to see her being a mom --I know she will be awesome. And I am sending her this quote to remind her and myself that perfection is not only an unrealistic goal, it's unneccessary. Our kids don't need us to be perfect -- they just need us. So I am off, to try harder, to listen more, to play and draw and maybe even pull out the Play-Doh.

2 comments:

  1. Great quote. Thanks for sharing. I think we all need to hear that once in awhile. And, I think your friend has chosen a wonderful role model. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:45 PM

    That's a good one. I might have to emblazon that somewhere for a while. I have been caught up in the doing recently with not nearly enough be-ing. We'll tack up "A house is not a home unless you can write 'I love you' in the dust." along with it ok?

    ReplyDelete