Saturday, May 27, 2006

Memorial Day

Memorial Day weekend in the United States.

I have absolutely no objection to anyone who honors or remembers their ancestors and loved ones on any day of the year.

However, I feel compelled to note that Memorial Day is actually a holiday for remembering those who died in service to our country.

Reminisce, rejoice, and celebrate all of the relationships you've had with people who are gone.

But PLEASE say a special prayer or spend just a moment remembering and honoring those who sacrificed so much so that you and I can enjoy the freedoms of our great nation.

And let me add that in reference to a conversation I had this week with someone who shall remain nameless to protect them from the stupidity police, one of the great freedoms we have as Americans is the freedom to think what we want and express it. The fact that you and I disagree on the war is obvious. What is not so obvious is that while you basically want me and anyone else who disagrees with our president to leave the country, it is the very epitome of hypocrisy to trumpet the great ideals of this nation while making it clear that you believe the right of free speech does not belong to everyone.

As a veteran of the United States Army who served in order to give you and every American the right to speak their mind without fear of governmental or political consequences (even if I think you are a certifiable idiot and I really wish you'd just SHUT THE HELL UP), you're welcome. Even though I seriously do want you to shut the hell up.

If you haven't been paying attention, my blog, my world. If you don't like what I say, quit reading and get your own blog.

Freedom rocks.

Thank a veteran, teach your kids to show proper respect to our nation's flag, take your flippin' hat off when the National Anthem is played, read the Constitution or at least the Bill of Rights, sing the Marine Corps Hymn or The Caissons Go Rolling Along, talk about the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War II, Vietnam, the mess we're in today -- do SOMETHING to honor that blood. It was shed for you. Please don't let it have been in vain.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:28 PM

    Today we went to Oak Hill Cemetery to place flags on the graves of US Veterans. The Boy Scouts were asked to help out, and since Andrew's a Cub, we all went. How proud I was to watch my children carefully place flags at graves, gently wipe grass clippings from grave markers, stop to read a name aloud. Shed a tear (Okay that was me, not the kids...) Say "Thank you." Be silent. Remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister!

    But, sometimes I do wish that idiots didn't get freedom of speech. :)

    ReplyDelete