Monday, September 24, 2007

Forgot to mention

I live in town. Like, the center of town in terms of north-south. I live near a lovely lake (again, in town) and not far from a nature preserve. But in no way would I describe my home as rural.

In the middle of the night (okay, probably just very early this morning) I was awakened by a noise. Sort of like one of those annoying signals given off by electronic gadgets when their batteries are low. But this was a longer sound, a lower pitch, and I remember thinking, in my stupor, that it sounded alive. I heard it once, woke up, listened, heard it again, said something like, "What the hell was that?" and Rob said he had heard it but was stumped as well. He checked his cell phone, which had a fully charged battery, and we went back to sleep.

This morning when he was saying goodbye (I am still in bed when he leaves for work), he said he figured out the source of the sound.

Wait for it .....

it was a turkey.


(This is not the turkey. It is a photo I took off this site.)

Yep. I know he is probably right as the woman who used to live across the street told me years ago she had seen a turkey walk up my driveway and into the back yard early one morning. She was a turkey hunter and it was turkey season, so it almost killed her to see it and not be able to shoot it. And the sound? Completely plausible that it was, indeed, a turkey.

And I am sure I scared the hell out of it when I asked what the sound was. Poor turkey. LOL

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that a neighborhood in Almaden used to (maybe still do) get turkeys visiting every year? There were so many they had to work out something with Animal Control since no one wanted to shoot them. Very brave turkeys, come visit in the fall, right before Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:25 PM

    We had turkeys in our yard in NW Roch too. And that house was more outlying than yours, but much more commercial in a way too.

    When we went to the grandparents-in-law's at Easter, there were over 25 turkeys crossing through their yard on day. And they live in Omaha.

    And I was really afraid there for a moment that you were going to tell me it was a BAT! Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get turkeys all the time. In our yard, wandering down the street. One time I was in the living room and heard all these strange noises, coming from the ceiling, it seemed. You guessed it -- turkeys on the roof. I'll post some pictures on my blog if I can find them.

    ReplyDelete