Thursday, October 11, 2007

Old friends

Our friends from the Czech Republic threw a party tonight. Let me tell you, no one parties like a Czech. It was a celebration for several people; a man from a Mayo lab who became a father yesterday, several lab associates who were awarded grants and given professional recognition for their medical research, and for our friend Tom, who was given a prestigious award from Mayo Clinic.

I had a chance to reconnect with Sarka and another friend whom I haven't seen in a long time. I can't express my joy at seeing them. Somehow, with some friends, it's like no time has passed when you get together -- you just pick up where you left off, and you bask in the love and joy that is reflected back at you from their faces.

That's what tonight's party was for me -- a chance to see people I didn't even realize I missed so much -- and an opportunity to see their affection for me. It was like coming home.

I miss this couple and their kids desperately. We spent so much time over several years with them that they were practically family. How grateful I am to have had the chance to spend a little time with them tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:07 PM

    I hope you miss me so much if I ever get out of here! ;)

    Two coats done!!!

    Have a great dinner tonight with Sarka and her family!!

    ReplyDelete