Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Life gets crazy

Interesting conversations with a friend yesterday and today ... I ran into her and she just didn't look herself, know what I mean? She looked flat. Empty. Tired. And it made me sad.

We talked, and she is absolutely crazed right now. Overcommitted, feeling like everything in her life is getting less than it deserves, not taking care of herself.

Today she called and she is making changes. Stepping back. Reorganizing priorities.

I don't always succeed at this. It is HARD. We want to give to our church, our kids' schools, our community, our world. All of these things are worthy of our time and energy. But at what cost?

I told her someday we'll both be bored. I mean, how many days a week will we be able to have coffee without getting totally sick of each other? LOL And THEN we can give of our time. It's important to give -- anyone who reads this blog knows that I feel that way, and I try to do what I can. But --and I want to stress this, especially right now -- it is also important to take time for ourselves. Don't let your life pass you by because you're stressing over too many commitments.

My life was radically changed when we moved to California. I resigned from everything. I was very careful about what I took on while we were there. I continue to be cautious about overcommitting.

We should all give, but you need to draw the line if you're giving until it hurts. Nurture yourself. Nurture your relationships. Be kind to yourself. You are worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Currently undercommitted. You'd think I'd use this precious time to clean and organize and unpack my new home? No...hit the wall. Crap.

    I did do something you'd think I'd never do...but I did. I baked cookies from store bought dough. Not just any dough though...you'll see...

    ReplyDelete