Sunday, April 15, 2012

Shoot.

I keep writing that I am going to post more consistently here, and then I don't. When my children were tiny and the only "me time" I had during each day was the much-anticipated afternoon nap, I dreamed of the day when they would be bigger. In school all day. So that I would have those glorious hours to myself, to make fabulous dinners, clean my house, read books, pee without an audience, and do tons of crafts and scrapbooking and genealogy research.

If you are dreaming of such luxury now, STOP. It is a pipe dream. Of course my life is simpler now in so many ways. My kids are in school all day. When they are home they don't need me nearly as intensely as they once did. They watch TV, they read books, they play in their rooms ... and they don't need me.

Which is good, because who has time? I volunteer at school (though, sadly, I have not been nearly as consistent with that this year as previous years), I volunteer in church, I volunteer in political stuff, I work 16 hours a week (which I know isn't a lot but it still cuts into the me time).

I feel like I don't get nearly as much done as I did when my kids were small. Maybe it was because I had to be super organized to maximize my productivity. I don't know but I am not as productive now.

I love blogging -- I really do. But I find the hype around blogging exhausting. I don't worry about getting the most readers. I don't do blog hops to promote my blog. I have never wanted to make it a revenue stream. I am not doing giveaways, or being super funny or perfect or snarky. I just live, and this is a record of life, a way for far-flung family and friends to check in, a place for me to be able to go back and look: when was that? What was that funny thing he said?

This blog will be 7 soon. That's pretty old in Internet years. I don't want to give it up, but I don't like feeling as though I neglect it.

Can you get the 7 year itch in your blogging relationship? Maybe that's what I have ...

No comments:

Post a Comment