Monday, May 13, 2013

Love is Law

Photo credit: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/07/in-sleepy-minnesota-suburbs-church-ladies-launch-gay-marriage-crusade/259678/
The website credits Benson Kua/Flickr as well.

Today is an historic day in my state. Minnesota Senators are going to vote today on Marriage Equality. The bill passed in the Minnesota House last Thursday. If the Senate passes it today, DFL Governor Mark Dayton says he will sign it -- possibly within 24 hours.

The image above was found in a Google image search and it was exactly what I was looking for.

I have been married for 17 years. My marriage at its core will not be affected by this vote. My life WILL be affected, though, because the lives of many of my friends, my church family, and families whose children attend my kids' public school will be affected, in a profoundly positive way.

There are SO MANY things tearing at the fabric of our society. But this? This is not one of them.

Today my state could take a step toward equality, toward respect, toward acknowledging the fact that love is love.

Let freedom ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment