Sunday, August 07, 2005

The world will never be the same ...

Rob just told me to turn to CNN. Ohmygod, Peter Jennings is dead.

How odd that I just confessed my crush yesterday. (See "Four Facts about me...") Those who know me well already knew of my fixation with Peter -- how every August I was miserable, because Peter was gone the entire month, and how I could hardly wait until September, when he would be back in the anchor chair with his Savile Row suits and his half-smile when he was particularly amused by a story.

I haven't mentioned it here, but in a former life I was a journalist -- I idolized him. He had a reputation for being tough -- for insisting on near-perfection in his broadcasts. He had a great sense of responsibility as a journalist, a great love and knowledge of history, a tremendous capacity for conveying even the most horrific news in a calm and reassuring manner.

It sounds ridiculous, I know, but I am crying. Tomorrow my friends and family will call me -- because they know how I feel, and because they know I am so sad that the world has lost such an incredibly gifted man at such a young age.

My sincerest condolences go out to his wife Kayce, and his children, Christopher and Elizabeth.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:39 PM

    I saw the news late last night and was pretty shocked myself. Very sad way to go :(

    ReplyDelete