Friday, September 23, 2005

Has it really been 56 years?

Happy Birthday to my absolute fave, Bruce Springsteen!

As long as we're on a 1980s rocker-from-New Jersey kick, might as well pay homage to the poet/troubador from Freehold.

It was summer 1984. I was staying at my grandparents' house, listening to Rockin' Rick on XL93. A song came on .... the MOST amazing song. I called the station afterwards and said, "Who WAS that?" and Rick told me it was this Springsteen guy and the album, Born in the USA, was currently in stores. (The song was "Dancin' In the Dark).

God bless my grandma. She took me to the mall within the hour and I bought it on cassette. Thus began the obsession -- the posters on my walls, the purchase of all of his old albums, the fixation on all members of the E Street Band, especially Clarence and Little Stevie -- that still burns brightly in my mundane, suburban housewife and stay-at-home mom existence.

Bruce. Love that name. The mention of it gives me shivers. Tried to name son #2 Bruce, but my husband nixed it. Then tried Frederick (his middle name -- toldja I was obsessed) which was also rejected. Our top 3 picks were Ethan, Ian and Evan -- and I had a revelation -- Bruce's oldest son is Evan. Well, there ya go. Done. Evan it is! (True story.)

Any questions about Bruce? Feel free to ask -- it's likely I know the answer. Married to Julianne Phillips May 13, 1985 (I was devastated) ... married Patti Scialfa in 1991 ... three kids ... song most often called a favorite by fans? "Thunder Road." Must admit, it's cheesy to be in with the crowd, but that IS my fave song....

So thanks, Bruce, for all the hours of enjoyment -- the memories of crusin' through Darlington County, South Carolina while listening to "Darlington County," for providing the soundtrack to the past 21 YEARS of my life. You are a poet, an artist, and a thoroughly decent human being. I hope you are happy today, hangin' out with Patti and the kids, and I am so grateful you choose to share your tremendous talent with the world. I am glad you have Patti -- a talented woman in her own right -- and that you clearly have such affinity for each other. I love to watch the two of you onstage.

Happy birthday -- and forgive me for dreaming that someday I could be the "Red Headed Woman" you sing about.

1 comment:

  1. He is the same age as my dad, but my dad's butt isn't that cute.

    ReplyDelete