Thursday, November 03, 2005

Go Sharks!

I have never been to a professional hockey game. Heck, I haven't been to ANY hockey game in years, not even when I was in college at one of the top hockey schools in the country, the University of North Dakota. (Yes, they have colleges there -- and electricity. I've heard all the jokes before, get a life.)

Anyway, as a one-time rabid Fighting Sioux fan, I was excited at the prospect of seeing a game at the "Shark Tank," aka the HP Pavilion. Rob called yesterday afternoon and said one of his employees had 2 season tickets he couldn't use that night and asked if we wanted to go.

Enter my friend Nicole, who, on very short notice, said she would watch my kids for me, and Rob and I headed to the game.

Dang, I forgot how much I love hockey. It was really strange to go to a hockey game and walk past the palm trees outside the arena, but once I got over that it was fine. In general I am against warm states having hockey teams. The Mighty Ducks? Come on. The Florida Panthers? The Nashville Predators (who were playing last night) -- gimme a break. Hockey in Nashville? There's no hockey in Nashville! Very odd for a North Dakota girl. We have ice water running in our veins up there, and we're proud of it.

The game was kinda boring at first. We got there a little late. The Predators were ahead 2-1. No scoring in the remainder of the first period or all through the second period. When they decided to actually play hockey, it was a lot of fun.

They tied it up in regular time and scored the winning goal 1:44 into overtime. Sweet.

The Sharks goalie is awesome. Evgeni Nabokov, I think. Did a great job last night, as did the Predators' goalie. The Sharks had a lot of shots on goal, and he did well. Jonathan Cheechoo, #14 from Moose Factory, Ontario is a helluva hustler and I really enjoyed watching him last night, too.

So now you know -- I am a closet hockey fan. My 2 favorite spectator sports are hockey and golf. Figure that one out. I love the "in your face" attitude of hockey. It rocks.

Had a great time at the game, and it was a nice break from just feeling sad all the time. Life does go on, doesn't it? I plan to pay more attention to it now, though. I'm grateful I'm still here, even as I mourn one who is not.

Hockey is life -- it's rough, it's got some boring slow patches, it's sometimes bloody. But hey, it's good in spite of it all. Go Sharks!

1 comment:

  1. I knew there was an inner sports fan in you somewhere. If you like hockey, you should branch out to football. Those guys at least have their teeth!

    ReplyDelete