Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Moving

Sucks. Honestly. In July 2004 we moved Minnesota to California. In April 2005 we moved a few blocks to a different house. Now it's almost July 2006 and we're moving from California back to Minnesota. Three moves in three years.

My oldest son attended a public magnet school that enrolls by a lottery system when we were last in Minnesota. I made sure that he and my second son (who entered Kindergarten here in California) would be able to slide right back into their school when we returned from California. I had telephone conversations and sent letters confirming those conversations and the agreement that was made. of course, not once did I receive a written pice of correspondence from the school confirming it all -- it was just oral on their part. I was suspicious of this, and apparently justifiably so. It seems there is a new principal at the school who, to quote him, is "not bound by other people's agreements."

So my kids have been waitlisted and are, as of today, still on the waitlist for the school.

So now I am questioning myself: do I really WANT them to go to a school where I think the principal is a complete asshole? Do I want to deal with said asshole for the remainder of my children's elementary school careers? But I made promises to my children based on a good faith agreement which has now been violated -- what do I do about that?

I am having another of those teary, emotions-just-at-the-surface kind of days.

Twenty-six days 'til packing day.

Waaaaaaaaah.

Anybody got three quarters of a million bucks hanging around so I can buy a house in Silicon Valley? (No I can't buy one for that, but I can make up the difference.)

Just askin'.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:50 PM

    No one can afford to live here--- we just somehow, as if by magic, make it happen. Really. I don't know how we do it. Just last night I told my husband...if you got an offer for a fabulous job in Idaho, Hawaii, Cambodia... consider it...take it.... I'm ready for a change. An adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just sucks about the school. We've been waitlisted before, it took a lot of nagging to get Henry into his first elementary school.

    One of my friends moved from southern CA to Indiana last year, traded her track home to a $400k mansion, with top tier public schools. Why should we stay here with all this job stress? though I might hesitate to move to Cambodia :-) China is another story, any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:31 PM

    Moving sucking is the #1 reason why we bought our house in MN right away (the deal was done before the wedding even). After move in the dorms, move out of the dorms, move in the apt, move out of the apt pretty much twice a year for the previous 5 years we were ready to stay put for a bit.

    Surprised by the mess at the school. Best luck with the superintendent, but I have a feeling you won't get very far with that one either. I suppose you've been re-districted for R-side by now? Meh.

    As for what you can do about the good-faith agreement that's been violated, you can teach them that some people really suck and that getting it in writing (a lesson I learned that involved a deck and a dumbass) makes life better. No sense in being sad about it though...just go straight to mad (or the newspaper) and show them a good Jennifer ass-kicking.

    And if you don't want to go back to L or if you have to, R, perhaps look into the 45-15?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:33 AM

    Just wondering if you felt the earthquake this morning. (Woke me up!)
    You need to feel at least one before you leave the state.

    ReplyDelete