Tuesday, October 16, 2007

National Dictionary Day. Go buy one. And use it.

Robert Krulwich of ABC News has a piece today -- and I want to make it clear that I am absolutely ... well, I am just bitter over the topic. Here is the link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=&affil=kaal

And for the record, it is free rein -- like the horse's reins. If you are speaking of the body part known as the vocal cords, it does NOT have an H. If you are talking about a lovely sound your Sweet Adelines chapter created with its voices, you may refer to it as a vocal chord, with an H. Otherwise, shut up.

And for the record? It is judgment. Only one E. Not judgement. It was incorrect for hundreds of years to add the other E. Just because people are stupid and spell it wrong often enough does not make it correct to add the other E. And if you disagree with me, then please find a way to go back and fix the spelling bee my mother lost with that word. And then go to my 6th grade spelling super bowl and get me the trophy, because now all the news stations spell "Cancelled" with 2 Ls, even though in the dictionary there is only 1. The teacher was Mr. West and I was clearly robbed.

Yes, this annoys me. Another instance of "The Dumbing Down of America." Argh.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:17 AM

    Your printer grandfather would be proud - he could spell anything correctly! Like you said, just another instance of the dumbing of America - these days it doesn't matter what's right, all that is considered is what's acceptable. In my world they are the same, but obviously my world no longer exists! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to be enraged with just how incredibly dumb people are, check out this blog: http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/

    If you want to see a blog that's updated sporadically and may only be interesting to the grandparents of our children, look here: www.buddyandfriends.blogspot.com

    (Remember me?)

    ReplyDelete