Saturday, October 06, 2007

Recipe



I mentioned last Sunday that I would be making a special recipe and added a link to it that apparently is reserved for subscribers only. My grandma gives me a subscription to Taste of Home every year and I have to admit I do use it quite frequently, despite the ridiculousness of Reiman Publications' rules for their often hokey and consistently cheesy magazines. I need to warn you that Reminisce is by far the most offensive to anyone with more than 3 brain cells. Argh.

Anyway, what I was planning on making were these little sandwiches. I just didn't cut the faces out. Since we ended up at relatives' last Sunday evening, I am making these tonight. Rob is home and these are in the oven right now.

Trick-or-Treat Turnovers
Cook 1/2 pound ground beef and 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion in a skillet until meat is no longer pink. Add 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, cubed (I used shredded) and 1/4 cup prepared mustard. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Cool slightly. Flatten all of the biscuits from a 16.3 oz. refrigerated flaky biscuit package into 4 inch rounds. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of meat mixture into each. Flatten another package of biscuits and use a cookie cutter to cut out faces. Use extra dough to form stems if desired. Place faces over meat mixture and pinch edges to seal tightly. Brush with a lightly beaten egg, bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Yields 8 servings. (I also added a little ketchup, probably about a tablespoon, to the mixture while it was cooking.)

Here are mine from tonight. Definitely well received by all except Spencer, who generally "hates" everything the first few times he eats it. You can't win 'em all.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:38 AM

    Well they sound yummy. Maybe I'll give 'em a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete