Monday, February 25, 2008

Stop it already

Okay, I have about had it. Last week a beloved retired Fire Chief in my hometown died. He was 69 and had a chronic illness but somehow it doesn't seem possible. His sister-in-law babysat my brother and I one summer and since her kids called him Uncle Bill, we did, too. He was a Scout leader, a tireless advocate for many community causes, and a good man.

Over the weekend my friends and I at Scrapjazz had to say goodbye to a friend who died unexpectedly. Tough stuff.

This morning I called my mom to check in with her about a little project we were planning for Friday morning and it turns out her boss died. He had been an attorney in my hometown (pop. approx. 8,000) for more than 50 years.

I just feel sad. There is a heaviness in the world. It's cloudy and gray and it just seems like even the sun has decided to throw in the towel.

My sincerest sympathies go out to the grieving families, friends and communities of these people. I know what it is like to lose a grandpa, a friend, a community leader.

But, selfishly, I am the most sad because it looks as though my parents will be at home attending a funeral next weekend instead of celebrating Evan's birthday here. I feel guilty about that. But it's the truth.

Okay, so nobody else is allowed to die for a while, alright? Enough already.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know if you get anywhere with that will you? I have happy news on my blog if you need a lift.

    Sorry your parents might miss Evan's b-day celebration. I can see why you're sad about that.

    By the way...it WILL be spring eventually. It's just the way it works. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I have been sick all weekend and didn;t hear about this...I am scared to find out who it was!!??

    ReplyDelete