Sunday, October 11, 2009

In which three months goes by thisfast.

Our dear friends from the Czech Republic are winging their way home this evening. They arrived in mid-July and we have really tried to spend as much time together as possible.

In 2001, when Evan was 2, he befriended a little boy in his preschool class. Every day he came home from preschool and said he played with a little boy with an odd name. When I asked the teacher about it, she said, "Oh yes! The little boy doesn't speak much English but Evan seems to understand him and they communicate quite well." Which was odd, but when kids at 2 and 3 have such an affinity for each other, you shouldn't question it.

So I invited their family to spend Thanksgiving with our family, and we all became fast friends.

In 2004 we moved to California just before they went back to Czech so the dramatic change in scenery and routine made it easier, I think, to adjust to not having them around.

This time, they've been here 3 months and now they're gone, and well, we're still here.

Since they've been here we've made connections with friends we had through them previously and met some new people, and I think this time we will all make a more concerted effort to stay connected. I am incredibly grateful for all of the friendships, but right now my heart is heavy.

Farewell, friends. Our life is infinitely richer because you are in it, and I can't wait to see you again.

1 comment:

  1. How awesome. I would like to visit there. Maybe we should plan that trip!!

    ReplyDelete