Sunday, October 10, 2010

Put that in your algorithm

I've been spending a fair amount of time lately listening to Pandora. Usually I listen to my Bruce Springsteen station. Okay, yes, I am aware I am nothing if not predictable. But, for those of you who are uninitiated, here is how Pandora works. You pick an artist or a song and it chooses other songs that are similar. So in the course of listening to Bruce, I will also hear Counting Crows, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne ... you get it. And usually I like the songs that come up. There is an opportunity to give a thumbs up or thumbs down to each song. Sometimes Creedence Clearwater Revival comes up. I ALWAYS click thumbs down. I HATE CCR. I cannot even express to you the hatred. There aren't enough words, and the ones available are too few, to describe the infinite suckitude of CCR in my opinion.

And yet Pandora keeps slipping those songs in here and there. Bitch.

So I have only one criticism, Pandora people: you need an option for me to hate an artist. Not just a song here or there; the entire compendium of that artist's work. His or her Opus, as it were. Your algorithm clearly doesn't support my disdain for John Fogerty. Let's work on that, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment